Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Melide to Aruza July 10

I just lost my first four paragraphs so this draft will not be as poetic as the first!


The day began for Sue and Patricia by being awoken by wood being delivered and unloaded onto the street outside their window. We ate breakfast in the bar downstairs watching the running of the bulls in Pamploma on TV.




As we set off, we could hear a mass being broadcast. As we passed the church, we could see sad looking people standing outside so,we gathered it was a funeral. The way out of Melide was far prettier than the streets leading in.








Pilgrims come in all ages and we met a couple of young ones biking with their mom today.
We all really enjoyed our walk today (well not always when I am trudging up long hills). Not too long after we set out we came to a self serve road stand. It was nice, free water. Irene and Sue bought raspberries-a euro for a small basket and they were grown right by the side of the stand. Patricia and I opted for very delicious bananas.





We later enjoyed the raspberries with coffee at our first cafe of the day.



Today my blister wasn't bothering me so I could once again enjoy the flowers!






Honeysuckle seems to grow wild here.



We always enjoy the farm animals.





We went up an enormous hill and then cheered the one biker who,rode all the way up. Then just around the corner was another cafe and who should we see but the Vancouver crew (please note they started earlier than we did this morning). We had fun catching up before we hit the road again.



Today we saw some great vegetable gardens.





Most homes in the country seemed to have grape vines.




Amongst all those flowers we saw a flowering cactus.


And then there are my favorites that I have at home, blue hydrangeas.


I also really like blue doors.



We hit another cafe and sure enough,who should come along but Chris, Liz, and Margaret Anne. We made them pose with all their gear.



After we left them we went into a cute little hamlet and you can see what was on the menu at a restaurant. Octopus is popular in this region, if not with me!






Above is that cute hamlet. Yet another steep hill out of there-I borrowed back my walking sticks for the climb but soon we were on the final stretch to It leveled out but it was uphill once again but we must be adjusting.


As soon as we hit the main street we stopped for a drink in case our hotel was far away and we were joined by the Vancouver trio once again. As they were having lunch we went searching for our hotel and it was only a block away-Casa Teodora. We like it here.


The view out the window, and yes Sue and I have been window shopping from our room. Adios!

Location:Aruza

No comments:

Post a Comment