Friday, July 13, 2012

Lavacolla to Santiago de Compostela




We did it! We walked 111 kilometers and are now official and have certificates to prove it. As I write this we can once again see the cathedral where we ended our trek.

Let's see. We had a very pleasant afternoon and evening at our hotel complete with an elegant dinner.


We toasted to our last evening on the trek. But the next morning came soon enough and we were on the road, this time in the rain after two mornings of actual sunshine.

















We spotted a girl having breakfast and then saw her friend just getting up. Can you spot them?
please notice it was getting rainier and rainier and once again it was now all up hill. My ankle really started hurting and I thought I might have to take a taxi to reach Santiago.



Finally we stopped at a little cafe and although my ankle was better I decided to take another ibuprofen tablet. it was so nice to have a break and a warming cafe leche and a biscuit. Sue, our navigator figured we had actually five and a half kilometers so we had four and a half to go. Yeah!





It sure wasn't getting brighter!


Apparently you can see the cathedral far away on a clear day, but not today




I think this was a statue of a crusader.


Another memorial...


We had to cross over the overpass on boarded trestle but now at least we're in town and we had been warned it was a rather long and circular path to the cathedral.


The path is fairly clear


Finally I could see the outline of what I thought was the cathedral. very strangely I somehow had moved ahead of my companions,probably worried that my ankle would act up again I would fall behind.


And then finally

















A quick whip around the cathedral...
We ran into several of our friends we had met along the road. A girl from Calgary who had walked the whole 800 km, gave us directions to the passport office and we were able to get our official certificates proving we had walked at least 100 km.



And then wet and bedraggled, we knew we deserved some lunch.


Now it is time for true confessions. Several times I had tried to cash or change a 50 Euro bill to no avail. i was getting desperate,to find a bank open so that I wouldn't continue to have this problem. Strangely the others had been successful. Our lunch bill was over 30 Euros so they each paid me so that I could get change. Once again our waitress said she couldn't but she explained that the bill wasn't in Euros.


Well they are the same color!

It was all downhill to the Hotel Pombal where we were pleased to once again find ourselves in rooms with our favourite view.


It has been pouring but I think it has stopped so that we will be able to enjoy our last evening here. Tomorrow we will be driving along the coast to San Sebastian. Stay tuned and thanks so much for traveling along with us.

Location:Santiago de Compostela

No comments:

Post a Comment