Sunday, August 18, 2013

Santa Barbara First Full Day-morning




There seems to be a pattern. Sue starts the day with a power walk and I blog. She walked 14 kilometres yesterday and I walked seven. What can I say? Above is the street view just off our lane.


Our little home is a very good use of 600 square feet with two bedrooms and baths. Since I have been asked we found it through the website Vacation Rentals by Owners. You can see our living room above.
Our sightseeing day began with an architectural walking tour of Santa Barbara looking at Spanish Revival architecture mainly after the 1925 earthquake.



Our docent was amazing. I found myself taking a few notes trying to remember what she told me.


Santa Barbara has a long history from Native peoples to Spanish settlement, to being part of Mexico after the revolution, and then becoming part of the United States.


Some buildings date back to these early days.


Others were influenced by architect George Washington Smith, an artist and successful investor, who came to Santa Barbara and built himself a home based on what he had seen living in Spain, and others asked him to build such homes for him.





After the earthquake destroyed buildings it was decided to become "strict" about what was built and even free architectural plans offered so that this is why you see this Spanish Revival style.








This blog's purpose is to share favourite pictures more than to give specific information but I loved how Prince Carlos visited a few years ago and is planning a visit this year to show his wife beautiful Santa Barbara.


In the 80's after another California earthquake that didn't affect Santa Barbara new construction and renovation got even stricter guidelines to make buildings earthquake proof, sometimes proving very expensive!








The careful planning of Santa Barbara is responsible for all the tree lined streets so that you can always find shade.


I love all the tile work!






My favourite colour of blue...


Note the typical Adobe elements




Great door!



I loved these elephants.


The Moorish influence is often to have asymmetry.


Artist studios-all have north light









We had lunch at a nearby cafe and went home to regroup before our next tour at the Courthouse just around the corner from us. I think I should note that Santa Barbara itself only has about 89000 inhabitants but it has had many wealthy benefactors!
Stay tuned for my next blog about the rest of our day!
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Santa Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment