Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Steveston Monday, September 9,2013






I have a few favourite places in the Lower Mainland and another one is the community of Steveston, which is part of Richmond, the suburb south of the Fraser, where you find our airport. Monday I decided that would be my destination.



Once a upon a time (a bit of pun here but we will talk about that later) Steveston was an important fishing and cannery centre and really has a fascinating history that you can read more about here.




When I first visited thirty years ago it was a sleeping place with great fish and chips. I loved it then with its feel of an old fishing community.


But I wasn't the only one who obviously enjoyed the small town feel and scenery and since then it has become a popular place to live and visit.


Weekends it can be difficult to find a parking spot


But on this foggy week day I didn't have a problem!


There are still many fishing boats


And lots of opportunities for fish and chips!



Now did I mention that the TV show Once Upon a Time is filmed here?


Actually Steveston has been used for several TV shows and movies.


On this particular morning I really wouldn't have been surprised if Captain Hook didn't appear out of the mist the way he did on the TV show.


One interesting place to visit is the Cannery Museum











I love these statues!











I have always liked these townhouses.


Here we are at the Gary Point Park.








you can see the fog is beginning to lift in one direction.





I loved how there were men fishing by the memorial to fishermen.


I love the picture below.


A Japanese garden reminds us of the many Japanese fishermen who were sent to detention centres far from here during the Second World War. So sad!
















My morning ended with breakfast at a favourite of mine, Cannery Row, and a trip to the Prickly Pear Garden Centre but more pictures another day... I really enjoyed my quiet early morning in Steveston. I hope you do as well.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:W 21st Ave,Vancouver,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment