Thursday, April 7, 2016

Fatima, Obidos, Lisbon, Wednesday, March 16


 The next morning after a nice breakfast we were off again!


It was foggy when we left Porto



Giving us a misty magical effect


but it soon cleared up as we travelled along.



Our first destination was Fatima where children saw apparitions in 1917.




I had a wander around and lit a candle for a friend with cancer (just in case).
















Below are wax holds of body parts in case you are looking for specific healing.














It was a lovely day






and I scouted for signs of spring





and a little shopping...





Our stop was fairly short as we didn't have many practicing Catholics in our group.







This gave us more time for our next destination, Obidos.  Obidos has a long history from the Celts, Phoenicians, Romans, etc.  Obidos is just beautiful, a gem.

When in the 13th century Queen Isabel de Aragon remarked on its beauty, her husband, King Denis, a true romantic, presented it to her as a gift.  And that became a royal tradition so that Obidos was known as the Queen's city.  It was also won back from the Moors in the 1100's by the king's men disguised as cherry trees.  Now that I would have liked to have seen!







Here you can see us entering through the walls by the city gate.







Note the beautiful tile work.















Insight tours treats its guests to flourishes.  And our flourish here was






 Ginginha, a sweet brandy liqueur made with local cherries and served in chocolate cups.  





It was rather yummy and of course I had to buy a small bottle and a couple of those cute liqueur cups.  The chocolate ones I would have to get at home.  Of course, I know a place to buy them...In retrospect perhaps I should have gotten a bigger bottle but note I had already rejected buying a bottle of port.






I am just going to let you wander through the streets (not much traffic)





and of course a few stops in shops.  I loved the pottery above and bought a couple of small bowls and spoons.




The scarves were lovely too but I own an awful lot of scarves...







I love cobbled streets and those nice white buildings with blue and yellow accents.













A rather nice church...









A little information about that liqueur.






Another view of the church.





















And I found a couple of cats-there were two on the car but one got hungry and jumped off to have a snack.











Sangria, anyone?


Or perhaps cafe con leche...
It was such a lovely day we sat outside for lunch...



I mean how pretty can a place be?















Even the telephone booths are quaint.


Signs of Roman times...


It was just a perfect stop, a place I would love to see again…

Portugal is kind of a magical place!

No comments:

Post a Comment