Friday, October 16, 2015

Montreal to Quebec City September 26,2015






I reorganized my suitcase once again and I was off to Quebec City.


I decided to avoid bridges and tunnels and took the highway north of the St. Lawrence.  When my gas tank was half full I was happy to see a service station and Tim Horton's right off the highway.




Getting into Quebec City on a Saturday late morning was much easier than Ottawa at rush hour on a week day or basically any time in Montreal.  And no construction!





It was great to see Michael and Rene and soon we were off for me to rediscover Quebec.  I had visited several times for a day or two but in 1999 I spent almost three weeks there in a French Immersion program for BC teachers.  The program was housed in College Merici  which basically was across Rue Jacques Cartier from where Michael and Rene live.  Jacques Cartier is a neat street filled with restaurants and shops that most tourists don't know about.



It was fun walking along here as it brought back fun times that summer.  And it was kind of a summery day as well.










We reached Grand Allee, the beautiful street that passes along the Plains of Abraham into the gates of Old Quebec.  For those of you who haven't been to Quebec City you might enjoy seeing this video.





We stopped to have a close look at the Henry-Stuart House.  The house was built in 1849 for a merchant and his wife, the Henry's, and then from 1918 until 1987 two sisters, Adele and Mary Stuart lived there and you can see their interior design and elegant furniture today.


I think it would be fun to have a tour and tea there one day!





We walked along the Plains of Abraham into Jeanne d'Arc Park





















The park was already decorated for Hallowe'en






































We left the park to walk into the old city.































































You are never far from history in Quebec City







































Our walk took us to the Morrin Centre, a place I was curious to see!








Recently it has become known as the setting of popular mystery writer, Louise Penny's Bury Your Dead.  Here you can see a display honouring her.








These are the stairs up to the English-Language Library which has hosted such luminaries as Charles Dickens, but we couldn't go up there today so we planned to return on Sunday.










Our tour continued...














I loved the statue below which is called Taking Flight and is a tribute to the orders of teaching brothers who have been in Quebec for centuries.








Here we are in front of city hall.
































It was time to check out Rue du Tresor, the street of artists.  Some things don't seem to change!


















Below is the Chateau Frontenac, probably the most famous hotel in Canada.



















Looking across the river to Levis
















We ended up in this lovely park that I had never visited before, high above the city, part of the original fortifications.

















I loved the back of the building-so typical of Quebec urban architecture, reminding me of an apartment I once lived in, in St. Henri in Montreal.






And here we are in one of my favourite places in Quebec-I was once shown it by the two little girls selling lemonade there. There have been many theories about the origin of this cannonball in this elm tree but here is the latest theory.






As light began to fade in the late afternoon





I kept thinking what a totally magic place Quebec City is...

















There is no place quite like it anywhere in North America.



























Quebec City is a city of music and here is one place you can hear great concerts.  A wonderful music festival fills the city in the summer with amazing international performers.





We turned up Rue St. Jean, a favourite street of mine.











I had to check out a favourite place, Epicerie J.A. Moisan






And then I was introduced to an amazing chocolate store and museum, Erico's.










So much fun architecture here!






The sun was setting




But we had to make a stop at the community garden near Michael and Rene's apartment.






And pick a few vegetables for dinner.




And admire a few autumn flowers!






I was able to check out the Super Moon on their balcony, but my iPhone couldn't do it justice.








I loved being back in Quebec City



and I was fortunate to have great tour guides



If you haven't been here you must go! Quebec City has an excellent website that I totally recommend as well to visit virtually!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment