Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day Two Mallorca March 28 Taking the Wooden Train to Soller




Although I posted the pictures shortly after I returned home,


I am writing this post over a month later.

Our first morning in Llucmajor, I took a little wander around the property



before everyone else was up.  It was a lovely morning and did I mention I was awoke by the sounds of roosters and donkeys?



Our hostess, Adele, laid out a beautiful breakfast, and Mike had whipped into town for fresh bread.




Our plan for today was for Sue and I to visit the town of Soller.  Mike and Adele dropped us off at the train station in Palma and we took the antique electric wooden train up into the mountains.  It was so crowded with tourists, some local, a few British, but mainly German on this holiday, Easter Monday, I didn't actually enjoy it as much a I might have.  I think that is why I only seem to have a picture of the station along the way in Bunola.




I have to admit that when Sue thought this would be fun to visit an said that it was supposed to be quaint, in my mind i thought momentarily," Do I really need to see one more quaint village?" but of course I did.  Above is inside the cathedral right in the centre of town.



Note those orange trees!!!




Here we are in the central plaza




My favourite kind of streets...




It seemed time for lunch so this was our view.





The bread and olives were just delicious.  And I am sure our main course was as well-probably a salad (see why I need to take lots of pictures).




It really is a beautiful town and the tourists seemed to have spread out.  There is a trolley down to Soller Port but we decided not to take it and concentrate on the hillside village.  Before a tunnel was built in 1997 it used to take over nine hours to get to Soller by road from Palma, a journey with something like 28  switchbacks on the way up and 31 on the way down.   After our drive yesterday, I can imagine.  Now it only takes 45 minutes. The train, which we took, used to be the only comfortable way to get there!


On the 19th century, citrus fruits were shipped directly from Soller Port to Marseilles, so the wealth generally stayed in this tiny place.  As a result there are some beautiful Modernistic mansions and small plazas.




Not all shops were open on Easter Monday, but certainly enough.



This packaging shows traditional Mallorcan patterns.



My favourite blue and white combination



Look at the beautiful patterned tile work!




Lush vegetation-it looked like spring!



Lemon trees!



I think this is one of my favourite pictures from my whole trip...



Doesn't this look like a lovely place to linger?





Look at those baked goods!


These are different varieties of Mallorcan salts.



Just enjoying the sun and perhaps awaiting the train...





Products made from local oranges.  And did I mention we bought fresh oranges here and although I moaned a bit  about carrying them around all day, mine was the most delicious orange I have ever tasted!


I began collecting Mallorcan cats (well in pictures at least).



Blossoms everywhere



Honeysuckle














The Soller train station has a free art museum focussed on Joan Miro (whose grandmother was from Soller) and Picasso who were great friends.





another cat...








What a view!














I must say waiting for the train to arrive was quite delightful (we were a bit worried it would be as crowded going back as it had been coming).











Here's the little tram...




Okay now you can see the train and we had lots of space this time.





I totally recommend a train trip to Soller!!!





And yes, it was worth a trip to yet another charming Spanish town...



Next post will take you exploring in Palma, the main city of Mallorca...






No comments:

Post a Comment