Sunday, March 15, 2015

Devil's Island, French Guinea











Long ago I had read the book, Papillon, and later watched the movie about the French Penal Colony off the coast of French Guinea.  Devil's Island actually refers to three islands and we actually visited Ile Royale which was the main prison and administration buildings were located.








We took tenders from our ship to get to the island.  It was a self-guided tour so with maps we were basically on our own.  Shortly after we arrived there was a tropical cloudburst and I temporarily lost Val and ended up walking along the rocky beach.  I realized it was the first time I had really been alone in a week!  Not that I was alone for long as other visitors explored as well.








I was strangely struck by how beautiful it was, much more so than the tropical forest we had visited in the Amazon.  Also there was animal life.  I ran into a rooster then a very interesting creature skittered across my path and then disappeared!  It was so fast I couldn't get a picture and finally managed to video one as it carried food to its lair.


I later found out it was an agouti.  And I came across several on my walk.





In the next picture you can see the island where prisoners were put into solitary confinement.








I just loved the beautiful wild beaches!  I thought how much more I enjoyed a walk like this than a walk around the track on the ship!









Decomposing coconuts








More gorgeous flowers
















After I had walked the perimeter of the island I climbed up the rather steep hill where there is a hotel, (interesting place to spend a night), restaurant, a small tourist shop, and a lovely garden.


































In this area you can see many of the buildings that were used when this was a penal colony.













I have to admit I really didn't want to linger amongst the prison's remains!  It was a grim history!






But I really thought it was a beautiful island!





It strangely reminded me of being on Kauai with its lush tropical vegetation and stunning scenery.  How ironic that its beauty was a borrow for so many!











But we were not doomed to stay there forever, rather on our way back to the ship for a late lunch!






Location:Devil's Island

No comments:

Post a Comment