Saturday, February 14, 2015

Seattle Day 2-February 9, 2015-going to Chihuly Glass and Garden




Day Two in Seattle no one was allowed to leave the hotel until all four were present so we set off for breakfast...




As you can see- it was raining!




And here we are at a favourite bakery below-right across from the market- Le Panier!





I love this place as did my friends!





One of my friends questioned whether this was breakfast but





I just like the colours!





and designs!





Below was my breakfast-almond and chocolate always a good choice!







I have a thing for decorated bicycles as well!




And we were off to the Space Needle





Well we just took the monorail there from downtown!






Our real destination was not the Science Centre


or  the Experimental Music Project Museum (though one day I really want to go)  -see the building below...







And those flowers are part of the Science Centre.





and look a tree!






More from the Pacific Science Centre









 Our destination that opened at 11 am was Chihuly Garden and Glass.  A few years ago I saw some very pretty photograph cards at our local artists' coop and when I asked about the images i was told they were from the glass bridge designed by Chihuly in Tacoma.  I was so struck by those images I really wanted to visit the bridge and Chihuly Museum of Glass there and I did a couple of times.  If you haven't been to downtown Tacoma I totally recommend checking it out for all the beautiful Chihuly pieces in his hometown.

Then I was thrilled to find out about the opening of Chihuly Garden and Glass in Seattle.  This was my second visit and Liz and I were happy to introduce Chris and Olivia to this wonderful place.

One of my favourite installations is below!





How cool is this?




I took a picture of the description of this room but it is not clear so I will just tell you this is the Northwest Room!  And the work here is influenced by his growing up in the Northwest.  There is a wall of Pendleton type blankets and displays of Northwest Native baskets and you can see the influence on his work.



baskets






blankets



Next you enter the sea life room (again showing the influences of growing up in this area)












































I love these ones with the reflections!












I think my description above is clear enough to read.  These chandeliers are so amazing!







More drawings below!






I started trying to get inside the plants in some of my photos below!




















This chandelier walkway takes you out into the garden!























One day I want to come later in the season when the garden is in full bloom!


























A real flower below!





This sculpture is so amazing!





Chihuly as a young man admiring Palm House at Kew Gardens as a young man.  Little did he know that thirty years later he would be invited to show his work there!





We ended our visit with an early lunch at the Collections Cafe which is in itself an amazing place with tasty food as well!






It was time to head back downtown on the monorail

and drive back home with a few short stops along the way and a long border wait where we amused ourselves doing the crossword we got from our bagel stop!
I truly love these February road trips to Seattle, a great city.  I know many people who seem to just go to Washington state to go shopping (but with the devalued Canadian dollar not such good bargains anymore) but there is so much to see and experience in the city.
I hope you enjoyed the trip!



1 comment: