Saturday, May 17, 2014

New Orleans Day Two-Friday May 9, 2014





Our goal today was to go to the Garden district but of course we had to peek in a few stores on Royale between Conti and Canal where we would catch the trolley car.




















I kind of liked this t-shirt...





















We had fun exploring the antique store just across from our hotel at the corner of Conti and Royale.

















I found a Ganeesh!  I couldn't find one anywhere when I was in India, but look at this beauty in ivory.  I didn't think I would get it safely home!  Okay, it was a bit out of my price range as well!

















I also really liked this box!














The plates were rather lovely as well!  One thing I really liked about this shop is everyone was so nice and friendly and seemed to really enjoy working there surrounded by beautiful objects and furniture.













Can you read his t-shirt?  New Orleans is filled with interesting characters.



















I liked the vivid colours!














This hotel looks like it belongs on a wedding cake!



















Well I see I missed taking a picture of the trolley (I should plan my blogs more precisely).  Anyway all was going well until we were told to get off the trolley due to construction.  The driver told us that we would just have a short bus ride and we would be told to get off.  The bus ride was longer than anticipated and we missed getting off so ended up walking a couple of blocks back along St. Charles.






We enjoyed the tree lined streets and lovely homes.  The garden district like the French District is on higher ground so other than wind damage it wasn't affected by Katrina the way other areas of the city were.  I found this interesting article when I was doing a bit of research.




















I think this porch looked very inviting!




















Walking down Washington we saw this coffee shop just across from the cemetery.



















Just so you won't doubt we are here!
















We are now in Lafayette Cemetery.  As you probably know in New Orleans there are no underground ones as it is at sea level so you find crypts like this.  I had not been in one of the famous cemeteries so I wanted to see one.











Some of these are quite old.






































I liked this little brightly coloured home
















With more time it would have been great I am sure to take a guided walking tour in this are, but we had fun exploring on our own.















I like how they mark streets on the pavement here.


















I liked this jungle like garden!


















Here you can see a bit more of this property!















This little house has substantial grounds!
















I liked this one as well!














These row houses were favourites of mine














As were these!














Another view














I love porches like this!














This one looks very New Orleans with the Fleur de Lis!














By now we were on Magazine Street which is the shopping, dining area of the Garden District!  I liked this New Orleans alphabet wall hanging!












And there season was a bit ahead of ours and irises were out.  I hadn't seen this colour before!
















This building was once an orphanage!











More irises but of course, we are in the Garden District!




















By now it was lunch time!















I liked this, a furniture store with a soul!












After a bit of exploring and a long wait for a crowded bus that was delayed for some reason, we headed back downtown.  It was kind of an interesting bus ride with lots of locals as well as tourists.  Before we knew it we were back in the French Quarter!



We loved these bright paintings from the Caliche and Pao Gallery.














The artists, husband and wife (I believe) are both originally from South America but now live in New Orleans.

















You see these lights everywhere so it was fun to be in this store!




















Now here's the idea in this store patio!


















I just love these stores on Rue Royale and I didn't spend a penny here just admired!


















Just a little street exploring and admiring the architechture!


















It looks rather cozy up that deck!




















Need a touch of elegance?


















Music, music everywhere!




















Then home to our hotel!



















We got to show it off later to our friends!  And then we went off to a reception and they went off to eat a real dinner!  But it had started pouring!  Our doorman grabbed us a taxi and as the rain came down harder and harder we were glad we hadn't tried to walk the few blocks!  And we were deposited under cover at the Marriott and were able to get a taxi there as well.  Our friends got totally soaked as did many people that night!  I got wettest from sitting in the taxi coming home from the previous wet passengers!









 I have borrowed these from my friend, Susan!
Check it out!!!  It was wet!!!






1 comment:

  1. I love to visit such kind of places if you are also planning for going some where you can enjoy your life then no need to worry about that we are here to plan your journey where you feel like haven and live you life.
    new orleans tours

    ReplyDelete