Monday, May 5, 2014

Beginning May in Victoria




My friend, Diane, arrived Tuesday from visiting her  son and daughter-in-law and baby grand daughter in Calgary.  She wanted to  go to Victoria so off we went on Thursday just overnight as she was returning to Montreal Saturday.










We were very lucky weather wise as it was the most beautiful day imaginable for a ferry ride although due to traffic in the tunnel as it was rush hour and only one lane was going out of the city, we missed the 9:00 am ferry and had to wait for the 11:00





It was the most beautiful day imaginable to be on a ferry.  And this has to be one of the nicest ferry rides imaginable as you pass through active pass.










We stayed at my good friend, Margrit's.  She lives in a very convenient location and we     had a lovely scenic walk along the water to downtown.













We walked past Fisherman's Cove where we later took a small ferry back from downtown.














It was so bright and cheery.  I honestly don't think I had ever been there before!












 Here you can see the inner harbour with the parliament buildings
 We went downtown and had tea at Murchie's and wandered around wonderful Munro's books.  Diane had left her water bottle on the ferry but I found her a perfect replacement!
 We headed back on the ferry.
 We walked through flower filled streets back to Margrit's


 We even spotted red blossomed chestnut trees.
 Victoria's a bit ahead of Vancouver flower wise and here's an amazing clematis.

We had a great dinner later at Spinnaker's Pub and Restaurant in Esquimault.  If you haven't been there I totally recommend it.  It's a place I always go when in Victoria.  As you can see the view is lovely.









I looked out my window Friday morning and it was beautiful so since no one else was up yet I decided to go for a walk.  I spotted my first columbine in bloom this season-one of my favourite flowers.










I decided to walk down the pier down at Ogden Point near where cruise ships come in as it was just a couple of blocks away.    The first one actually came in May 1, Thursday, but had left before morning came.












Although I had visited Margrit many times I had never walked out on this pier.  Victoria can be very windy so this sunny still day was perfect for a pier walk.











I noticed the pilot boat tied up that probably has led cruise ships in and out














Here you can see the pier and a float plane overhead, not unusual in Victoria!













 Here's the light house up close!
Here is a little of what you can see!
 One more shot-look at those reflections!  I felt so lucky to be here Friday morning!














I returned and after some coffee we were off to nearby Beacon Hill Park













 It was so spectacular-Margrit was trying to find Heron nests for Diane but I was mainly into the incredible scenery!
Someone said looking at my pictures it looked like a setting for a fairy tale
 I mean how gorgeous is this?
 It just seemed to get prettier and prettier!
 I hadn't been here in ages and this beautiful party right in the middle of the city is a treat!
Next we drove along spectacular Dallas Road into Oak Bay!
Our destination was the newly refurbished Oak Bay Hotel for breakfast and more spectacular views!

Diane is a quilt appraiser so we next went to the Victoria Guild's quilt show.  Margrit and I loved this quilt but we later learned it was a kit quilt but we still liked it! And that takes a great deal of work and skill regardless!






And this was a beautiful art quilt-some talented quilters displaying their work!  After this our tour guide, Margrit left us, and we actually made the 3:00 ferry to our surprise so that made up for missing our ferry over!  It was a busy but great couple of days in Victoria!

No comments:

Post a Comment