Friday, April 4, 2014

Photo exhibit in Chinatown to St. Patrick's Day Parade to Touring the City

 Being on an email list for Sun Yat Sen Gardens I was invited to a photography display and lecture on March 15th.  I invited my friend, Caroline.  It was a very rainy day.  We had thought of walking but abandoned that plan.
Before the exhibit we had lunch at a very cute place, Perks, at 39 East Pender.   The soup was absolutely delicious. Sorry no pictures!
We then went to the exhibit where we looked at the lovely photographs by Evelyn Nodwell.  We heard a fascinating talk and presentation with well known photographer, Sam Abell.  It was absolutely fascinating.  I found myself taking notes!  Then he had a conversation with Evelyn about her photographs, which was also really useful.  It was a packed house!  It made me more aware of what makes good photographs.We had a quick tour of the beautiful garden (according to Sam gardens are best in the rain) and then we had more exploring to do!

I had read a couple of articles about East Van Roasters  and was curious to check it out.  It was only a couple of blocks away so Carolyn and I braved torrential rains again and were rewarded with delicious hot chocolate!  Okay, we split a chocolate chip cookie as well.









  This is a great spot.  As well as the cafe, they supply delicious chocolate all over town.  It is a non-profit organization that trains and employs woman who are residents in the Rainier Hotel where it is located.  The Portland Hotel Society has hit the news lately due to some questionable bonuses and salaries of their directors, but they have done some great projects which I hope will be able to continue with their new board.  I totally recommend this place and hope to return!  It's open Tuesday to Saturday.





 I don't often have hot chocolate but this was so delicious!  And so perfect on a rainy day!



Sunday was another rainy day, a rainy St. Patrick's Day!  I had never been to a St. Patrick's Day parade in Vancouver so I decided to check it out! I had to feel sorry for those in the parade but they didn't let a little rain stop the fun!
















You can see how wet it was!













Even the dogs were in the parade-I didn't know they was an Irish Wolfhound group!












Lots of pipe bands and brave dancers...


and even horses...



My friend, Hilary, is a volunteer for Tourism Vancouver and she is great for taking me on adventures.  On St. Patrick's Day we had planned to go to the Lawren Harris exhibit at the art gallery, but Mondays the art gallery is closed so she came up with another plan and it worked out well as it was a spectacular St. Patrick's Day.

 I drove over to her place in the West End and stopped to snap a picture of the view I had long ago from my kitchen at Nicola and Beach.

Hilary's apartment beside Stanley Park has a spectacular view so I had to take a picture













We walked from Hilary's place over to the Aquatic Centre where we caught one of the False Creek Ferries and did a whole tour by Granville Island, Science World etc. landing back at Granville Island  for lunch
 After lunch at Granville Island we caught a hop on hop off trolley and went across the bridge to the Strathcona Area into Gastown and then down to the Convention Centre.
 The TED conference was going on in the convention centre and to celebrate the event there was this fabulous art installation by Janet Echelman.  It was amazing and we both vowed to come back to see it at night.
When we went by the art gallery I was happy to discover the red umbrellas were now here.













Our journey then took us to Stanley Park.  We had a great view of the Lions Gate Bridge to West Vancouver.





There was an eagle on top of that tree at Prospect Point


















Then as we came to our exit point at The Fish House restaurant near the southeast exit to the park, we had an incredible view of herons nesting...














I am writing this blog a couple of weeks later due to technical difficulties earlier!  And I am realizing this entry is getting way too long...

That  week Spring really seemed to be coming out so here are a few of my favourite signs of spring.




















It was also great to take walks in the neighbourhood!  You never know what you will see…

View through the window of The Barefoot Contessa
Heather
Friendly cat


















And yes, a friend and I went to check out the art installation at night! It was great!  And constantly changing just like the city in Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment